Assignment: Professional Development Plan
If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.
The challenges you have examined in this course provide opportunities for you to be reflective, innovative, and strategic and for you to position yourself as a leader in the health care field. As the health care industry continues to evolve, you will need to grow and transform as well. Your ongoing professional development requires deliberate attention and planning.
To prepare for this Assignment, think about various types of health care settings where administrators may work and the challenges you have examined in this course. For instance, these challenges may relate to trends in health care delivery, health care administration competencies, or time constraints that can interfere with your professional development. Which challenges are most salient for a health care administration position you are likely to fulfill? Select two or three challenges on which to focus for this Assignment, and consider what you can do to prepare for and/or to address those challenges. How can you leverage your strengths? Also think about how addressing your selected challenges will enable you to contribute to positive social change.
Review the results of your HumanMetrics assessment (which you completed in Module 3) and think about how personality; culture; language proficiency; and your personal, academic, and professional experiences likely influence your communication tendencies and preferences. What are areas in which you can further develop your communication skills?
Develop at least three goals related to your education and/or career that you will commit to achieving within the next 3 years. Ensure that your goals are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely (SMART), as described in the “Writing S.M.A.R.T. Goals” (University of Virginia, n.d.) document.
Consider strategies for achieving each goal. What concrete actions will help you move toward your desired outcomes, and how do they fit in your timeline? For example, you might consider the following questions:
- Which professional organizations will you join? What do you expect to contribute to each organization, and what do you hope to gain?
- Which work experiences (in your current workplace or a future place of employment) could you seek out to enhance your opportunities in the field?
- How will you learn about new developments in your field?
Create a 2- to 3-page personal development plan document that addresses the following:
- Describe two or threechallenges you will need to address to be successful as a health care administrator and/or to promote positive social change.
- Describe at least threeSMART goals related to your education and/or career that you will commit to achieving within the next 3 years.
- Describe several concrete actions you can take to facilitate achievement of each goal you have identified.
- Describe ways you can leverage your strengths, communication skills, and leadership style.
Your Assignment must be written in standard edited English. Be sure to utilize the provided style guides in writing your personal development plan. Your plan is a dynamic document that you can refer back to throughout your career and update as your goals change and you achieve milestones.