Assignment: Self-Assessment and Effective Leadership
Self-assessments are valuable tools that enable leaders to learn more about themselves, including how temperament and unique preferences influence their interactions with others. There are a variety of assessments available to promote self-reflection. For this Assignment, you are required to complete the DiSC Classic 2.0, but you are also encouraged to take or review additional assessments (e.g., Myers-Briggs, Keirsey Temperament Sorter, a 360-degree evaluation) on your own. As you engage in this learning process, it is important to remember that everyone—regardless of temperament type—experiences challenges and opportunities with leadership.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Reflect on specific instances in which a leader has had a powerful impact on you. These leadership examples may be ones that you consider unsuccessful, as well as those you consider successful; they may be from the health care industry, as well as from other fields. Consider the behaviors that you observed and how they relate to leadership characteristics and styles as well as values.
- Complete the DiSC self-assessment and review your results. Be sure to save a copy of your results for future reference. Note:To access the DiSC Assessment, go the go the MyWalden main Menu, located on the top left and then go to Academic Resources > Explore All Resources.
- Consider how the leadership examples you have identified and the statements in your DiSC profile relate to one another. What insights does this give you with regard to the following:
- How you, personally, evaluate leadership effectiveness
- Your own leadership strengths and preferences
- Potential challenges or areas in which you need to strengthen your leadership skills and competencies
In a 2- to 3-page paper, address the following:
- Provide two or more leadership examples that are personally meaningful.
- Evaluate your leadership strengths and preferences, as well as potential challenges and areas for development. Be sure to refer to specifics of your DiSC profile, as well as insights from the Learning Resources.
Note: The paper should be 2–3 pages, not including the title and reference pages. Your Assignment must be written in standard edited English. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and at least three additional scholarly sources. See the rubric for additional requirements related to research and scholarly writing.