Employment Law For Business
Assignment 3 – Newspaper Analysis:
Requirements and Formatting
This exercise aims to develop your ability to critically analyze contemporary news article that relates to employment law. You will select a newspaper article (New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, or other appropriate quality journalism cite. Not a web blog etc.). The article you choose must have been posted within the last 6 months of assignment submission, which addresses a current Employment Law topic. You have access to these newspapers free of charge through the University’s library. You should select a news article and not an “opinion” piece. The article should focus on an issue related to what has already been discussed in the class or will be discussed in the class. For example: An Article that discusses OSHA, Unions, Employee Privacy, Discrimination, sexual harassment, drug testing, etc. You must select an article that I can access without paying a fee.
The article you choose must have been posted in within the last 6 months, of assignment submission.
Must use the following 5 headings in the paper or lose 5% off grade [-1.25pts from 25pts paper is worth]:
- Newspaper article with link
- Summary of the relevant facts from the Newspaper article. [Do not submit an article that I have to purchase to see. -1pt.]
- Analysis 1
- Analysis 2
- Relevance to this Course
- Newspaper article with link: Select a newspaper article (New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, or other appropriate quality journalism cite), that was posted within the last 6 months, which addresses a current Employment Law topic. You have access to these newspapers free of charge through the University’s library. You should select a news article and not an “opinion” piece. The article should focus on an issue related to what has already been discussed in the class or will be discussed in the class. For example: An Article that discusses OSHA, Unions, Employee Privacy, Discrimination, sexual harassment, drug testing etc. [Article link must be accessible to me without having to pay a fee. -1pt if not]
- Summary of Relevant facts from the article: Identify the source of the article and date in your summary. In addition, you must attach the article or provide a link to it that I can read the original article without paying for it. The title page heading for your post should contain a short title that will entice the reader to read your article. Do not simply “copy” large portions of the article. The writing skill of summarizing the most important aspects of the article will be evaluated.
- Analysis 1: Identify and describe/explain two legal issues and their relationship to the context of proper HR management. Also discuss how the legal issues relate to Federal or state law specifically. Lastly, in the context of HR management discuss how HR management should handle the two issues in house.
- Analysis 2: Provide three (3) substantial suggestions with detailed explanation on how to prevent the two issues you have discussed, based on course readings or independent research. Must furnish citation of authority to back up comments.
- Relevance to the course: Discuss how the issues are relevant to this course. In other words when were the issues discussed or will be discussed in this course? Explain how the article addresses and expands on material discussed or to be discussed in this course. Be specific.
Assignment Formatting Requirements
- Be sure and use the underlined headings found in the outline above in your paper or lose 1.25pts from score.
- All sources of authority at the end of paper must have links that instructor can access. Use at least three classroom resources. If not will be penalized 1pt
- Paper must be in narrative format, not bullets.
- Double spaced
- Late penalties: Paper is due by due date but if there occurs an extraordinary event beyond your control, then you need to contact me as to the reason and then we can discuss a new due date if I agree with your excuse. In every case of an extension you will be still be penalized 11% [-2.75pts, no chance for an A, for failing to submit paper by due date and time and -.5pt for each additional day late, no matter the excuse]. There are 25pts in the rubric so if one day late you will lose -2.75pts.
- Include a cover page which should have student name and title of your paper
- Be prepared using word-processing software and saved with a .doc, .docx, or .rtf extension. No pdf.
- Be uploaded to your Assignments Folder by 23:59 p.m. eastern time on the due date.
- The paper is to be posted in Assignment #3 drop box.
- Must provide source of authority for all facts stated in the paper. For example use sequential numbers starting with (1), (2) etc and these numbers should correspond to full citation at the end of the paper. Do not put full citation of authority in body of paper, just a number that corresponds to the full citation at the end of the paper. See examples below:
- In the body of the paper example of citation of authority designation:
(1), (2), (3) etc.
Full Citation of Authority at end of entire paper. Citation of authority must be accessible to me without having to pay for it.
(1). Employment Law: Last, F. M. (Year Published) Book. City, State: Publisher [provide accessible link].
(3). Smith, Stan M. “Internship vs Employee” Washington Post, Jan 5, 2018 [provide accessible link].
Or here is a link to the APA citation generator. Much better than the citation generator in Microsoft Word. You can use my example above or this APA link. I am more concerned with substance of the information than the form of the paper. https://www.citefast.com/?s=APA#_Webpage
Except where noted, the assignment is written in clear, concise narrative. All sections of Assignment #2 are required.
The grading rubric for this assignment is in the Assignment Folder, or can be opened by clicking on the ‘Assignment #3 Grading Rubric’ tab in the lower right corner of the screen, if you opened the Assignment in Content.