Law Enforcement Operations.
Assignment 4: Special Problems and Challenges and the Future of Policing In America
Modern law enforcement operations and strategies are driven by best practices in the areas of data collection and manipulation, addressing special populations, and preventing organized criminal activities. A tremendous amount of specialization has evolved in today’s sphere of policing, especially among federal, state, and local agencies. Perhaps, what is most evident is how the law enforcement agencies of the federal government have retooled to meet today’s challenge of terrorism. Use your textbook, the Internet, and / or Strayer library to research credible sources on the aforementioned issues as they relate to law enforcement operations and management.
Write a five to seven (5-7) page paper in which you:
- Identify and describe the major functions of the four (4) agencies of the Department of Justice. Of the four agencies, provide a rationale for which agency you feel has the greatest responsibility as it relates to federal law enforcement.
- Explain the purposes of the Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) and the National Crime Information Center (NCIC). Identify and discuss the various weaknesses related to the accuracy of the Uniform Crime Report (UCR).
- Describe the major roles of police executives using the Mintzberg model of chief executive officers. Of the executive roles described in the model, provide a rationale for which role you feel is the most important for a chief executive officer’s success.
- Examine two (2) legislative enactments that are in place to help combat terrorism. Provide your opinion on the effectiveness of these enactments in regards to combatting terrorism.
- Analyze the problems related to determining the actual numbers of hate crimes and what makes hate crimes different from other crimes.
- Use at least four (4) quality references including the textbooks. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.