Assignment 1: Crime Scene Investigation
Due Week 3 and worth 160 points
Preliminary investigations do not necessarily yield enough information to prosecute a criminal case. Despite a thorough preliminary investigation, many cases require a follow – up investigation. Use your textbook, the Internet, and / or Strayer Library to research articles on crime scene investigation.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
1. Assemble a set of guidelines on conducting preliminary investigation for a criminal case.
2. Propose one (1) strategy that criminal investigators should take in order to conduct an efficient follow-up investigation. Provide a rationale to support your response.
3. Select two major crimes (e.g. sudden deaths, sex related crimes) and compare and contrast the key differences in reporting the two major crimes that you selected.
4. Determine the three (3) most important characteristics of an effective criminal investigator and discuss the importance of each characteristic you determined.
5. Support or critique the argument that the criminal investigation process should maintain the balance regarding freedom of information through media outlets and privacy rights of alleged perpetrators of crime. Provide a rationale to support your response.
Use at least two (2) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar type Websites do not qualify as academic resources.