You will submit a project that includes a demonstrated prewriting technique, a topic sentence outline, and a draft essay that resulted from your prewriting and outline. Completing this assignment is part of a final capstone paper which will be submitted during Unit 5.
Specifically, you will complete the following:
- Select a topic question from the topic list.
- Identify and use at least 1 invention or prewriting strategy (mind mapping, brainstorming, listing, freewriting, etc.).
- Develop a thesis statement and 3 strong supporting subtopics.
- Create a topic sentence outline (scheme strategy).
- Prepare a first-draft essay.
Note: Your submission should be double-spaced with 12 point font and 1″ margins and include your prewriting, outline, and 500-word-
Please see Figure 2.3 below from page 33 of your textbook for an outline examples
Part 1 Topics 1
- Are cell phones dangerous?
- Do cell phones create a barrier to social connections?
- Does a public school’s enforcement of school uniforms limit freedom of expression?
- Are students being tested too much?
- Can school violence be controlled with law enforcement cameras?
- Does class size affect learning outcomes?
- Are law enforcement cameras an invasion of privacy?
- Are the various technological advancements in health care from individuals researching their own symptoms on the Internet to the extensive use of medical tests in diagnosis causing a gap in personal patient care? Why or why not?
- Is Web access to medical diagnoses and prescriptions creating unsafe medical practices?
- Do states that legalize marijuana cause conflict with nonlegalized states?
- Can digital art be considered fine art?
- Are new digital applications negatively affecting artists, designers, and photographers?
- Are actors and professional athletes paid too much?
- Are personal Web pages now obsolete?
- Is social media negatively or positively affecting professional writers and journalists?
- What are the consequences of corporations legally conducting unethical practices?
- Are tattoos appropriate in the workplace?
For this assignment 4, you will prepare an APA-formatted essay of at least 500 words reflecting the opposing view of the topic that you selected in Assignment 3
When preparing an informative or expository essay, it is important to identify multiple perspectives. Investigating all sides of a topic enables you to interpret a larger picture and prepare logical content. Assignment 3, you selected a topic question, determined a viewpoint, and created your assignment based on that viewpoint. For assignment 4, you will write an APA-formatted essay on the opposite viewpoint of your selected topic.
Specifically, your submission must include the following:
- A title page with the correct APA formatting
- An abstract page with correct APA formatting
- An introduction paragraph based on the opposing viewpoint of your Unit 3 topic question
- This requires the creation of a new thesis statement.
- It requires 3 supporting subtopics.
- It requires the new thesis statement to be the last sentence of the introduction paragraph.
- Develop at least 3 transitional paragraphs. Transitional paragraphsare the expanded paragraph information based on your thesis subtopics.
- Develop a concluding paragraph. Remember to restate your thesis statement in the conclusion.
Your submission should contain proper APA formatting in addition to the title and abstract pages. APA formatting for margins, spacing, font style, size, running head, and page numbers should be observed.