Section 2- chapter activity (DETAILED A+ ASNWERS)
“The Importance of Play” by Bruno Bettelheim (The Atlantic Monthly, March, 1987)
Based on the information above answer these questions.
- For what reasons does Bettelheim consider play the “royal road” to the child’s inner world?
- In what ways does play foster development?
- How does “playing” differ from “playing a game”? According to Bettelheim, which is better for the child?
- Why does Bettelheim argue that adults are mistaken when they view play as “not real”?
- According to Bettelheim, should boys and girls play with the same toys? with educational toys? with guns?
- What is the argument behind why Gray thinks children are displaying more mental disorders? How does the presence or absence of play affect this?
- How frequently should children have free play according to the author?
- How, and in what way, is technology a part of this?
- What is the main point of the article by Gray?
- Based on the information listed above I want you to research (go to the store, talk to parents, check reviews, etc) and identify a “Good” toy based on Gray and Bettelheim’s feedback about what play should be. This toy should be for an elementary-aged child and should be for $25 or under. I want you to discuss price (value), get a picture of this toy, and talk about why you think this toy would be a good toy according to Gray and Bettelheim’s feedback on the benefits of play. Give me a good argument here and I am expecting that you will reference Bettelheim’s feedback to support your suggestion. *Hint, make particular note of what Bettelheim noted about educational toys and let that influence what toys you pick and which you don’t. Don’t forget to check the reviews that are available on these toys to see if they live up to the features promised for the toy you select. I would also be interested to see if you find one that is popular and highly marketed but is exactly what Bettelheim cautioned against.
- Describe an ideal play setting according to the feedback from Gray and Bettelheim and tell me how schools should incorporate this.